Happy Food Friday! I love to eat, it's no secret. I love good healthy foods just as much as I love the not-so-healthy but oh-so-tasty foods! I have very low will power, so having my favorite junk foods in our pantry, heck any junk food in our pantry, is dangerous. So, one thing that helps me in my battle of good food vs. bad food is to just keep the bad food out of the house. This is not news to most of us trying to make better eating choices, right? Makes sense. However, like I said, I love to eat and feeling hungry or deprived is not gonna work for me. So, the junk food needs to be replaced with healthy foods. More specifically in my case, paleo-friendly foods. I'll admit this was tough for me at first, but now I have a 'go-to' list of foods that should always be in my house. So, if you are on a paleo lifestyle or want to start, here some must-have food items that have helped make the transition easier for me.
Here are some quick & easy grab n go snacks:
- LaraBars - most of these are paleo friendly, just stay away from the ones that have peanuts. They're all gluten -free and made from only natural ingredients. My favorites are the apple pie & coconut cream pie!
- Almonds - I grab a small portion and put in a cute little bowl and munch away. Sometimes I'll add raisins or cranberries, but only in moderation, since dried fruit is high in sugar.
- Fresh Fruit - quick and easy for sure. Just again, in moderation since it is high in sugar.
- Boiled Eggs- boil a few in one day, keep in the fridge for a quick breakfast or snack. They'll last about a week in the fridge with the shell, but mine usually only last about 2 days :)
- Almond Butter - great to dip celery sticks!
- Unsweetened Apple Sauce
Here are some staples for cooking Paleo meals:
- Coconut Oil - I cook everything with this!
- Lots Fresh Veggies - Sauteed, grilled, or baked, vegetables make the best side dishes.
- Coconut Milk - the full fat kind in a can. Not the coconut milk beverage in the refrigerated section.
- Spices - garlic, kosher salt, paprika, oregano, etc.
- Eggs - quick, easy, and versatile protein
- Variety of meats- this goes without saying!
I could go on & on, but I won't! This should help give you an idea of what my fridge & pantry look like and how to get started on your own clean eating! Enjoy your weekend :)