A new month means new goals to chase! All year on the blog I've been sharing my monthly goals. Today, I'd like to discuss 5 solid reasons why I think having monthly goals is a great way to keep you motivated and focused throughout the year.
1. Generally speaking, smaller goals are more attainable. Less daunting goals, mean you are more likely to reach them.
2. You can tailor each monthly goal towards your current training needs and well, life in general. For example, if I'm going to be taking a 10 day family vacation in April, you know I won't have a goal to run 50 miles that month! For me, it wouldn't happen and I'd be setting myself up for failure. A more reasonable goal would be to workout 3-4 days during the trip. Likewise, if I know I have an obstacle race to train for, I'll give myself some pretty tough goals to reach to make sure I give it my all during training.
3. Customizing your goals each month also keeps things fun and fresh. You can turn it into a fun challenge and even get your friends and family involved!
4. It can create better habits. Let's say your goal for this month is to drink more water, specifically 64 oz. a day. You reach your goal and are feeling the results! You aren't going to go back to your old ways, right? Of course not, because you've created a habit and a new routine.
5. Lastly, having monthly goals helps you see your strength & weaknesses. You'll begin to see patterns when either reaching or not reaching your goals and also when you are setting your goals. Maybe you realize you aren't reaching the goals you set because they're unrealistic, so now you can break up the goal into 3 smaller monthly goals that you can reach without defeat.
So, do you set up monthly goals? What are some of your goals this month? I'll be sharing my August goals tomorrow, so be sure to come back :)